Modern Foreign Language (MFL)
At Manor Park Academy we are providing a tailored curriculum from a specialist in language who comes into school to deliver the language lessons.
Our primary curriculum aims to ensure our pupils:
• develop a solid knowledge for the Chinese language and the culture.
• develop a strong lifelong language skill (listening, speaking, reading and writing) in Mandarin, which will enable them to have competitive advantage in the world of business as China’s booming economy continues to grow.
• foster their curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world. Which is in line with the aims of the national curriculum:
• understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
• can speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
• can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
• discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied. The focus of study in modern languages will be on practical communication. If an ancient language is chosen, the focus will be to provide a linguistic foundation for reading comprehension and an appreciation of classical civilisation. Pupils studying ancient languages may take part in simple oral exchanges, while discussion of what they read will be conducted in English. A linguistic foundation in ancient languages may support the study of modern languages at key stage 3.
MFL Curriculum Document
Select the link below to find out more information regarding the full MFL curriculum we offer here at Manor Park Academy.
Our current PE timetable is as follows: